A fun special treat for you this month (broadcast from the inimitable SoundArt Radio 18/05/23 at 8pm UK time.... then of course available on Mixcloud soon afterwards)
I recorded a straight to vinyl mix of some dismal sounds. Various bits and pieces that kinda work together. Some excerpts, some full tracks, some played at the wrong speed, a couple of skips that I had to edit out afterwards. Hope you enjoy, I had fun recording this. You never know, some day I may be allowed into the SoundArt studios to do this live!
- The Dead Mauriacs - Ceremonie Acte 1 (Haemoccult) - 7" (played at 33rpm instead of 45rpm but still sounds great... I had it queued up ready to go but when I turned my turntable off before lunch it resets to default 33rpm and I just hit that record button without checking.... a schoolboy error in the vein of the late, great John Peel in which I kinda feel happy about)
- BLACKCLOUDSUMMONER - The Singing Wound - Middle Aged Lightning - 12" lathe cut on NIM-BRUT USA... intentionally played a lot slower than the artist originally intended but I kinda liked it this way. Big thanks to my man Plague Arish for gifting this record to me
- Shaun Robert - Envelop - 7" Institute For Alien Research - another record gifted to me, this time by the artist, for which I am grateful.
- SOFT ISSUES - Pelt - from self titled 12" on Opal Tapes. I saw this act at Supernormal Festival a few years back and loved them. Proper noisy powerful angst. Went straight to the merch tent and snapped it up.
- Ekoplekz - Ekztrakz A - 7" lathe cut (self released) - with thanks to Mr Ekoplekz from Bristol, I play an excerpt of side A of this limited lathe cut release which is a recording from a live show performed a couple of years back.
- LDWG - DRM1MKII - from V/A 12" on Sports Manchester. A 5 track various artists release of grimy club sounds. Could have played any of the tracks on here to be honest, all great stuff.
- Ital - Citadel (G.O.D Remix) Toxic Waste Environment, Gang of Ducks 12". Cannot remember where I got this from, may have part of a haul from Redeye Records and I should probably pay them an online visit again soon anyway because they always stock some great stuff.
- GreyArea - Volume 4, track A2, 12" on Samurai / Auxiliary. Became a fan of the somewhat mysterious GreyArea project - I have the first 5 12" releases and I *think* that is all that was released. So far. Strange rhythms and barely comprehensible time signatures are the order of the day.
- Sly & The Family Drone* & Dead Neanderthals - Muck Man Part 2 (Molar Wrench) 12" on Hominid Sounds. Two great live acts coming together for a killer long form release. And fantastic artwork from a chap called Ian Watson who lives in Cardiff I believe. I have a piece of his black pen art framed in the hallway downstairs. Wonderful.
- Perispirit - 14th Annual Seance (excerpt) Spiritual Church Movement 12" Digitalis. A favourite noise 12! Two long pieces of weird sounds, where you can drop the needle anywhere throughout and be greeted with some drama.
- Dieter Muh - Herma, The Bjorn Tapes 12" on Force Majeure. With thanks to Dieter Muh for this release, still sound excellent 20+ years on.
- Justice Yeldham - Fresh Balls (Fresh Books 12") - Feeding Tube Records. Purchased direct from Mr Yeldham when he was on tour in the UK but I couldnt make any of this performances, the good man posted it to me.
- Manos Tacticos and his Bouzoukis - Agapi Mou Palia - The Sound of Greece 12" Golden Hour. Perfect 50p charity shop find. Played obviously at the wrong speed.
- Trerikroset - Filantropen - Harbinger Sound 12". Mono harsh noise wall. Say nae more.
- HI-FI Sound Stereo Test Record - Tracing and Pressure Tracing & Grey Noise 12". One of my all time favourite DJ tools to finish the set off with. Loads of different "signals" for setting up your speakers and record players. Great stuff.