Wednesday 6 October 2021

Welcome

Having quit Facebook many years ago, Instagram has slowly taken its place in my daily routine.  Whilst I can see the benefits of social media in terms of connecting with like minded souls, there is a largely damaging side to it that I do not particularly want to be part of.

The introduction of "Reels" (essentially TikTok) annoyed me.  I do not want to see any of these things. The ever changing algorithm which decides what to show me rather than just recent posts.... the increasing number of adverts. 

The final straw was on Monday 4th October, when the entire Facebook empire went offline (apparently due to routine maintenance going wrong).  You know what? I was quite happy that Instagram was not working.  Also, my WhatsApp was not "pinging".  

Instead I got my head down and finished up editing Intrusive Signals Issue 2 and then sent it off to the printers.  Time well spent and hugely satisfying to get it finally completed!



I felt a little sadness inside when I woke up the next day to find that all Facebook services had been restored.  Really, already?!

I have felt for a while that my sound, zine and photo posts would be better suited to a blog format where I could elaborate my thoughts a lot more clearly and simply.  I also much prefer typing on my laptop than via my phone. I know I will probably lose a whole bunch of excellent people by leaving Instagram; but my adventures as Soloman Tump have never been about big exposure or making money. Many years ago I ran a tumblr page which was the springboard for my eventual turning to Instagram.  Well, its quite nice to go full circle.  

And so... this blog was formed today. 6th October, 2021. 

I will endeavour to keep this blog updated with news of:

  • Sound experiments and releases by Soloman Tump - my outlet for experimental dismal electronics, using a pile of guitar pedals, the occasional synth and my homemade instruments.
  • Zines I am working on - currently Intrusive Signals, previously Snare Rush. All cut and paste monochrome works, assembled and scanned in by hand.  Interviews with artists whose work I find interesting, reviews, art, opinions etc... lovely. 
  • Photographs from my adventures across Dartmoor and Devon (and occasionally further afield).
I have a particular interest in local folklore, which manifested in my first 2 solo EP releases as Soloman Tump when I lived in Oxfordshire.  Now in Devon, I hope to draw inspiration from the wonderful rich history of Dartmoor and get some new Tump music created soon. 

So... that acts as a brief introduction. 

Will I regret rage quitting Instagram? Most probably not.  I did not miss Facebook one iota. Over the next week or so I will transfer useful content to here, make sure my "key" contacts are accessible via email or know where I am, then close my account there.  Liberating indeed!

Stay tuned.  Tump Clump 6 is coming next week. 

TUMP


1 comment:

  1. Cool, I've threatened detachment myself, all the garbage on social is grinding, but it is also a good distraction for me to pass the time on my breaks and at the weekend, I guess you get a lot of your distraction from the boys. One day maybe I will be in a position to seperate myself from my newsfeed

    ReplyDelete