Wednesday 6 October 2021

Lee Riley & Soloman Tump - Spl // it

Alongside Lee Riley from Oxford, I recently released a project call Spl // it. 

I have been a fan of Lee's work for a while now, discovering him as support act for MASIRO at The Jericho Tavern in Oxford back in February 2017.  His layered and processed guitar drones showed me that guitars do not have to sound like traditional guitars, and this performance helped me take the leap to starting my own sonic adventures as Soloman Tump.

Lee was kind enough to offer up and interview for Snare Rush #3 which was released later in 2017.  We later discussed a possible collaborative project.  Lee soon became involved with 4-5 piece improvised noise outfit UNMAN who I saw perform at The Wheatsheaf supporting Melt Banana, and headlining their own gig at The Port Mahon.  Great intense stuff indeed!

So time passed... then the pandemic hit.... and I moved from Oxford down to Devon.

We kept in touch and the possibility of a split release soon became a lot easier to co-ordinate than a collaboration, and within a matter of weeks we had the art, tracks and details all sorted. 

I am very happy with how this one turned out.  Lee had a couple of tracks mastered by Mike at The Aviary Recording Studio (who also happens to be in the aforementioned MASIRO and UNMAN). They did not sound like anything he had previously released - intense primitive electronic pieces that are quite removed from his previous solo releases.  They sound excellent and I honoured my tracks are released alongside them.

You can find it on bandcamp here as both digital "pay what you like" or limited 3" CDr if that's your preference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment