Monday 29 August 2022

Distraxi & Soloman Tump - Dartmoor Electronics

 

I am rather excited to have released this split album with DISTRAXI which we have worked on for the past few months.  It began quite organically, following a discussion on her visit to Dartmoor and my recent Palimpsest EP which began to explore the themes of folklore and layers of stories embedded in the landscape.  We soon began to work on tracks that would symbolise the dark horror folklore of Dartmoor through a harsh industrial soundscape. 

>>>> dartmoor electronics <<<<

A few words about the tracks I wrote for this release.  Please check out https://www.legendarydartmoor.co.uk/ for much more information on the places and legends named.

Bowerman's Nasus - named after a rocky outcrop found near Manaton, said to be the petrified body of Bowerman The Hunter who fell prey to the vengeful witch Levera after he disturbed their sabbath ritual.

Vixiana - the tale of a six foot tall witch who lived under Vixen Tor.  Legend said she had green sunken eyes and was skinny as a rake, trapping passers by in her cave carved by the creatures of Hades.  

Kitty Jay - the tale of the orphaned servant girl who fell pregnant to a farmers son near Easdon Tor.  She committed suicide in a barn and her grave was placed at the cross of a parish boundary to avoid shaming any locals.  To this day, fresh flowers are still placed by passing pilgrims to remember her.

The Triangle - A podcast on this area of Dartmoor can be found here by the wonderful "Faery Whisperer", relating to Kitty Jay, Bowerman's Nose and Easdon Tor.  

The album cover is a boundary stone found near Grimspound on Dartmoor.  The glitched background art was a happy accident created in the wonderful MSPaint. 

I was lucky enough to recently visit The Museum of Witchcraft & Magic in Boscastle, Cornwall where I picked up some further reading material on these legends.  Perhaps there will be more words on these soon.

In other news; I locked myself out of my instagram account recently, and unless someone at their end can get me back in somehow, I won't be back there anytime soon.

But, I am still alive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment