Sunday 19 February 2023

Trying to figure things out

 


Not sure where to go next with Soloman Tump sound output.  

Need some fresh inspiration.  

I recently gained some great inspiration from a collaborative project with Paradox Encounters Group - we have a forthcoming tape release of 8 tracks due soon via ToneBurst.  I love it when collaborative projects come together with great ease - we just passed sounds back and forth until we felt they were ready, and it quickly became apparent that we were happy with them after just a couple of passes.  Bouncing sounds and ideas off someone else's brain is a grand way of mixing things up. 

But as a solo artist, there are certain sounds and atmospheres that I want to create but I don't feel able to do it with the equipment I have, or maybe it's just I need to spend more time with what I have trying to figure out how to achieve it.

AI assisted Soloman Tump self portrait

I want more field recordings of interesting sounds (not just the obligatory birdsong or tidal ebb).  I need to ensure I have my recorder with me at all times to capture those rare spontaneous occurrences.  

I think, overall, I just need to dedicate more time to the craft and really work on what I want to do.  But as with most things in life, I tend to spread myself a little too thin and do loads of different things without ever becoming an "expert" at anything!  

Speaking of which, I'm slowly working on Intrusive Signals Issue 4, and Tump Clump #20 is pretty much almost ready.  #noiselife indeed. 

And lets not forget all the IRL stuff I do with work, family and other volunteering stuff.

I never let myself get bored!  But I do want to produce the best Soloman Tump releases that I can.  This is not to say I am not proud of my output so far, but I don't want to start chucking out releases that I am not 100% pleased with.  

So there may be a wait until the next release, we shall see where the inspiration comes from next.

Tump. 


No comments:

Post a Comment