Monday 11 October 2021

Intrusive Signals Issue #2

 So my new zine is out - as with all previous zines I collate the content, edit and publish them myself.  I used to print them myself, but my poor printer couldn't cope since the print runs got higher so now I sub that part of the job. Although part of me does miss all the folding, stapling, duplex printing alignment errors... actually.... no. Quiet, that small part of me!

Intrusive Signals is an old-school physical zine about music that I like. Made from real paper and posted to your house!

I listen (but not exclusively) to noise, drone, techno, soundart, ambient, industrial, experimental, folk.... and everything else surrounding those spheres.  I bathe in genres and laugh at the niches.  

For the zines I conduct interviews (mainly over e-mail but occasionally in person when circumstances allow) with artists that I have a particular interest in.  If somebody's music has hit a particular chord with me lately then I seek them out and try to get them onboard.  Quite often I am surprised by who I can rope in!

Qebrus was one such example, back in Snare Rush #3.  The bonkers and experimental sound artist was very warming towards my little zine project.  He answered all my questions and was supportive towards the print media.  I was very saddened to learn of his passing some months later and I think my zine was his last ever interview in print.  


I also get to write about events I have been to, reviews of particularly interesting music I have discovered or anything else associated with the music that I like.  

And this is mainly why I love working with the small run print format.  It feels very personal to me, and allows me to connect with fans and artists in a way that nothing else can.  

Once I have written up all the content, I print it out then cut & paste everything back into a "master" copy of the zine alongside the artwork. 

It is time consuming.  It is frustrating.  It can be costly! But ultimately, when the zine is finished and I am posting them out to people all over the world, it is hugely rewarding.

Intrusive Signals #2 contains:

  • An interview with Blackcloudsummoner from UK.
  • An interview with Neuro... No Neuro from USA.
  • An interview with Moss Harvest from Canada, plus some of his photographic work.
  • An introduction to Soundart Radio and The Tump Clump radio show.
  • A diary of my weekend spent at the Radical Chip Party by Dirty Electronics at Dartington Hall
  • Steve Cammack talks about his Muhmur Radio show and his history with Soundart Radio.
  • Music For Mental Health - a new compilation by Hreám Recordings, and some words on World Mental Health Day and mindful listening. 
  • Collage art by Disco Insolence
  • Poetry from Plague Arish and Avant Lawrence Garde
  • Techno Topographia - the slight return
The zine is available from Limited Run here  and also via my Bandcamp page.  Both come with a code for bandcamp for you to download / stream my recent split release with Lee Riley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment