Tuesday 7 December 2021

The Tump Clump Episode 8

Episode 8 heralds the arrival of December,  the darkness dominates and the Winter weather has crept into play.  My shed now feels pretty cold.  And a bit damp.  

Perfect.

Let us continue.





Following an intro that could be me getting into the festive spirit, I open the show with a couple of tracks from the Steep Gloss label, based in Wigan.  I picked up the 2 tapes recently by Wellness Regime and The Conduits, and both resonate well with my current brain energy.  The Conduits take processed crusty loops and add an aura of dark strangeness.  Wellness Regime also use loops, perhaps field recordings layered with the chaos of life.

Dit Sese is an artist I am happy to admit that I know not much about.  Originally I discovered the project via a tape on Invisible City Records earlier this year, labelled as "Dense Electronics and Void Drone" which seems particularly apt.  The 2 x 15 minute tracks were recorded live in Tokyo in 2020 and forge an addictive drone trip that warrants repeated listens.  I was then pleased to discover the compilation track from Seoul based label Constant Value called In Thin Rain recorded in 2016, weighing in at just under 6 minutes and therefore I could shoehorn it into the show.  I hope to discover more from the artist... somewhere.... 

The run-out-groove-anthem this time around is the hideous Wombling Merry Christmas, simply because I found the 7" in my collection and its the only festive themed record I own. And NOW ITS STUCK IN MY HEAD AND I CANNOT GET IT OUT.  Sorry if you also get afflicted by this.  Go sing it to a friend and pass on this ear plague. 

I constantly try and make The Tump Clump an inclusive space.  I like playing tracks from around the world, from different scenes, and welcoming in different folk.  

So its pretty cool this time to play Urschmerz from Germany (death folk industrial), noise queen Lutkie from USA (gnarled synthesis and vocals) and Hannya White from London (abstract soundart). I lump all this together as DISMAL and I enjoy it.

The tracks by Pigswill and Scum Alice come from a charity compilation called Are You Shivering? put together by members of the DEEP DIVE DISCORD server and out on the Moon Musiq label.  Some really exciting sounds in here, and Scum Alice has a huge discography, seemingly broadcasting live on Youtube and Twitter quite often.  One to keep an eye on.  All proceeds support the GEMS initiative:

"For the past 20 years, Girls Educational & Mentoring Services (GEMS) has served as the nation’s leading organization for empowering commercially sexually exploited and domestically trafficked girls and young women. Through cultural change, advocacy, training, and survivor leadership, GEMS is committed to shifting public perception and policy."

I close the show with some sounds of my own called Grit, which is the digital bonus track from my new split tape release alongside BLACKCLOUDSUMMONER.  It's kind of my soft attempt at power electronics, but really just experimenting with a loop pedal and adding vocals. I enjoy this sort of setup, I might do more. 

Thank you for listening to the show and for reading all of this.  Please support the artists.

See you in 2022 for some more.


The Tump Clump #8 - 7th December 2021
Wellness Regime - Lucky This Is All Hypothetical Isn't It
The Conduits - All My Friends Are Shallow Dilettantes
Urschmerz - Reject
Dit Sese - In This Rain
Hannya White - Wanna See
Non Bio - Create Problems
The Mike Sammas Singers - Wombling Merry Christmas [Run-out Groove Anthem]
Lutkie - It Reckons
Pigswill - Sleep Cycle
Scum Alice - Heavy Whispers
Volunteer Coroner - Yesterday Lays Upon Your Shoulders
Soloman Tump - Grit

No comments:

Post a Comment