Sunday 2 January 2022

FEAST#7 - a noise live stream

I finished off 2021 with a fairly last minute live performance for the Feast#7 stream by NIM_Brut.  I have previously provided solo, duo (with Plague Arish) and a DJ set for FEAST on previous events so it feels like a nice partnership is building up here! The live chat on Twitch and the performances are always worthy of checking out, especially due to the continued lack of live music around these parts....

So firstly I wanna talk about my set.... well, this is my blog after all.

The plan was to film with 2 cameras, my mini HD recorder (kind of like a cheapo Go-Pro) and also with the wildlife night-vision camera I borrowed from my in-laws.  Unfortunately that only captured about 10 seconds of video before cutting out - maybe I had it set up wrong? Anyway, one camera worked, and the audio recorded quite cleanly...

My set up, if you are at all interested, comprised of:

Ch1 (the noisy stuff): Marbeau Noise Synth => Behringer Neutron => Holy Island Super Freq => JPTR FX Kaleidoscope

Ch2 (the metallic loopy stuff): Home made Spring / sawblade / percussive thing => EHX Crayon =>EHX Freeze => Boss Loop RC1 => Boss Super Octave OC3 => Pladask Fabrikat

(The Moody Sounds Babybox is in the photo but I ended up not using that)

Neutron occasionally sending some evolving tempo control to the Fabrikat parameters. 

For the video I added waveform data from the HD camera (reversed and boosted) and also from the mixer, hence the 2 sets of waveforms which look quite different. Colour and bounce and some other things gave it an interesting style.  

You can watch the entire stream here, my set starts about 10 minutes in after the sonic assault of TONY:


I enjoyed all of the sets here, a real variety of experimental works.  So if you have a couple of hours spare I recommend checking them out.  

I  cleaned up the slightly extended original audio and uploaded it to to Bandcamp which you can stream / download for free HERE (or pay anything if you wish to add it to your collection).

I should also mention VITAL THINGS who provided the intermission music to the stream (cut from the youtube video above).  The 9 tracks are part of a forthcoming charity compilation called Still Ill which is supporting the indigenous people of British Colombia and their fight to stop the fracking industry from invading their land without consent.  More on this compilation in a future post, but for now you can find more information HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment