Monday 30 September 2024

The Tump Clump #37 29/08/24

 

After a fairly hectic summer (by my standards anyway) of music festivals - this show is a reflection of what the hell happened and a bunch of sounds that I enjoyed along the way.

Apologies for the slow update of the blog, again, I just dunno... time disappears.  My main issue is that my new job means I sit at my laptop a lot during the day, and when my leisure time rolls around I don't often feel like sitting in front of a screen again.  Ho hum.  Hope you understand!


1. Rain and thunderstorm passes overhead of Braziers Park - Recorded 01/08/2024 - Soloman Tump

As many of the volunteers arrived on site and were setting up camp, the storms that had threatened all afternoon finally broke and we caught the edge of a huge rain/thunder storm.  A few big cracks of lightning and the air become slightly cool.  Then, about 30 minutes later, it was all over.  Luckily I had arrived at Braziers Park the day before and was already set up; I therefore had a few minutes to get my sound recorder set up in the woods and make this short recording.

2. Weather Series by Transcendence Orchestra (from "All Skies Have Sounded"

I have previously seen Transcendence Orchestra at Supernormal Festival a few years back, and Anthony Child (aka Surgeon) a number of times in his solo techno guise.  This year I caught the Orchestra at Houghton Festival on the magical Pinters stage, and suffice to say I was transfixed for the entire set and the sound quality there was superb. 


3. Starlight Attic by Rolando Simmons (from "Starlight Terrastack" - recorded live at Houghton Festival 2024)

4. LITANIA by Qir Alin (from "Misterios" EP)
Qir Alin performed at Supernormal on Sunday evening and managed to invigorate the audience through joyous eccentric techno! Wonderful dancing fun times. Even the soundcheck was amazing.  And they had a D.F.A.M which I was very jealous of (look it up, non-synth nerds!)

5. Late by uncle-mum (from "A Strange Car Moves to Encounter a Greater Brightness")

I met uncle-mum as a fellow festival volunteer. We talked about music and said "hey yeah we should collaborate on something!!!111" well here is a solo track by uncle-mum, and maybe something from us both will surface at some point.  Maybe. 

6. Cargoonthen by Plague Arish & Soloman Tump (recorded live at Supernormal Festival 2024)

7. Shedlife by Plague Arish & Soloman Tump (recorded live at Supernormal Festival 2024)

8. Pipedreams by Plague Arish & Soloman Tump (recorded live at Supernormal Festival 2024)

These 3 tracks recorded late Saturday night / early Sunday morning in the play area of the forest between the festival site and Braziers Park itself.  Utilising sticks, natural amplification and whatever battery powered equipment we could get working in our partially impaired states.  Fun times!

9. RONDES ET CHANSONS by ZOHASTRE (from "ABRACADABRA")

Zohastre played "in the round" right out in front of the outdoor Barn stage at Supernormal, and the eager crowd surrounded, danced, raptured and hollared throughout their entire triumphant performance.  Beyond magical, as the sun set and the lights took over and the sub bass had us swaying.  Exactly what live music is for - bringing unique uplifting group experiences like this that I shall not be forgetting in a long time - if ever. 

Supernormal was an incredible weekend, once again.  Full of new discoveries of music, people and experiences.  A vital part of the calendar and a joy to volunteer at!

And Houghton Festival, which I had not been to in 4 years, had improved in many ways.  Even though my experiences of my previous visit were insanely good, this year exceeded it and I just wish I had a bit more energy on board to be able to take everything in without sleeping!


A great summer overall, and now heres to the winter....


No comments:

Post a Comment